in Bucharest: The Ceauşescu Mansion
According to the official website of this institution “The Ceauşescu Mansion was for a quarter of a century (1965-1989) the private residence of Nicolae and Elena Ceauşescu and of their children, Nicu, Zoia, and Valentin.
Built in the mid-1960s and known at the time as the “Spring Palace”, the mansion was enlarged between 1970 and 1972. The preferred choice for the design of the Ceauşescu family’s residence was Aron Grimberg-Solari (born 1928). The architecture of the palace is complemented by landscaping conceived by the architect Robert Woll (who was also the main furniture designer for the house) and the landscape engineer Teodosiu.
The spatial qualities and balanced volumes of the Ceaușescu Mansion are striking, as is its luxurious and comfortable interior, the work of the architects Robert Woll and Agrippa Popescu.
For the interior ornaments of the “Ceaușescu Mansion” a variety of woods were used, both native (oak, sycamore, cherry, walnut) and exotic (mahogany, rosewood, African pear, Canadian cherry)”.
Nicolae Ceaușescu (26 January 1918– 25 December 1989) was the General Secretary of the Romanian Communist Party from 1965 to 1989 and the second and last Communist leader of Romania. He was also the country's head of state from 1967, serving as President of the State Council and from 1974 concurrently as President of the Republic until his overthrow and execution in the Romanian Revolution in December 1989, part of a series of anti-Communist and anti-Soviet Union uprisings in Eastern Europe that year.
These photos were taken in March 2019 during the visit to Ceauşescu Mansion. This visit was connected to the travelling seminar “Romania’s entangled traumatic pasts”organized by the EUROM / European Observatory of Memories and the Faculty of Political Sciences of the University of Bucharest. According to the official website of EUROM this travelling seminar “dealed with the memories of the Holocaust and the communist past in Romania and consisted of a series of speeches and guided visits to some of the most emblematic places of commemoration and memorialization in Bucharest and Jilava. It was co-organized by the EUROM and the Faculty of Political Sciences of the University of Bucharest and included the participation of master students and experts from the University of Bucharest and the University of Barcelona.